Newer head shot

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Hudson Catholic's White, Lincoln's Wilson sign with AIC


Former Hudson Catholic running back Jaheir White


Jaheir White was getting to be a bit of a troubled soul. The talented Hudson Catholic do-everything running back was heading into the summer months without having a true college offer to consider.

“I was a little worried,” White said. “It came to a point where I said I didn’t want to play football anymore. But I sat down with my Mom and my coaches and they told me to sit and wait, that doors would eventually open.”

Meanwhile, Lincoln High School product Norian Wilson was also getting concerned about his college football options.

“My coach (Robert Hampton) knew that things would eventually go in my direction,” said Wilson, a standout two-way lineman for the Lions. “He promised me and I believed in him.”

Enter Dan Hicks, an assistant coach at American International College in Springfield, Massachusetts. AIC is an NCAA Division II school located near the home of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

Hicks, a native of Harrison and the former head coach there, made recruiting New Jersey athletes a priority in his first year at the school. Hicks sought out both Wilson and White from the outset.

“AIC is in an area that is a lot like Jersey City,” said the 6-foot-4, 240-pound Wilson. “I didn’t want to be in a place that was quiet. I needed something that was more like home.”


Lincoln lineman Norian Wilson (fourth from left, next to coach Robert Hampton) also signed with AIC

Wilson also liked the fact that he was going to get a chance to play right away for the Yellow Jackets this fall.

“I have a chance to play right away and I can play any position I want,” Wilson said. “I think my best position is offensive tackle, but I want to be a defensive end.”

White knew that his 5-foot-9, 170-pound frame might have been a deterrent to college recruiters.

“I knew my height was a little bit of a problem,” White said. “But that’s out of my control now.”

Hicks liked both players a lot and offered both a scholarship to AIC.

“With Norian, you know what you’re getting,” Hicks said. “I met him and met his Dad and both were very well spoken and honest. Norian is very mature. I think he has a lot of upside to his game. He’s going to fill out a little more. We’re really excited about him. He’s a Hudson County kid that we expect to compete for a starting spot this year.”

Hicks also loves White’s potential.

“Jaheir is just an athlete,” Hicks said. “I’ve known Coach (Lou) Zampella for a long time and he sang Jaheir’s praises. He’s a kid that plays well in space. I don’t know what position he’ll play, but I think he’ll find himself on the field on the offensive side of the ball.”

White likes his versatility.

“I’ve always tried to play a multitude of positions,” White said. “I can play all over.”

Both Wilson and White were among 24 New Jersey players who signed letters of intent with AIC recently. White’s recruitment was only finalized in the last few weeks.

White liked Hicks’ approach in the recruitment process.

“The first time I went to AIC to visit, I liked it,” White said. “Then I got an e-mail a day. Coach Hicks was calling me regularly. I went up to AIC, did a workout and the coaches liked what I did. We were constantly talking on the phone and he was ready to let me know when I got accepted by the school.”

White thought that he might have to attend a prep school for a year or go the NCAA Division III route without a scholarship.

“I kept saying to myself that I was better than that,” White said.

White and Wilson live only blocks apart in Jersey City, but didn’t know each other well until they played on a spring football team, the New Jersey Crushers, last spring.

“I like the way Norian plays,” White said. “He listens to whatever the coaches tell him. We both have something we can relate to. We’re both from Jersey City.”

They also have something else in common – namely a field of study at AIC. Both have aspirations to become sports athletic trainers. Wilson will study sports management, while White will study physical therapy.

“I always want to be around athletes,” White said. “I want to help and do anything I can with sports. Our athletic trainer (Joella Pounds) helped me tremendously. She told me that I could do it if I wanted to do it.”

“It all worked out well for me,” Wilson said. “It feels good that I was able to reach my goal. When I started playing football, I wanted to be a scholarship player.”

Wilson also said that he owes his success to Hampton.

“Without him, I wouldn’t be here,” Wilson said. “I owe him a lot. After I move on with my life, I will find a way to help him out.”

Wilson also said that taking a visit to the Basketball Hall of Fame helped make the decision to go to AIC.

Kobe (Bryant) is my favorite player of all-time,” Wilson said. “That helped seal the deal for me.”

The coronavirus pandemic caused a cancellation of this year’s Hall of Fame induction ceremony that would have included the late Lakers’ superstar who was killed in a helicopter crash in January.

White believes that the recruitment process worked out well for him.

“This all happened for me within the last month,” White said. “I’m really happy with the way things worked out.”


No comments:

Post a Comment