Newer head shot

Sunday, August 2, 2020

The man simply known as Gibby: Gilbert Lewis, 1949-2020

The phone call, which was more of a rarity in recent years compared to general phone texts and Facebook messages, lasted for more than two hours two weeks ago.

In typical fashion, the range of topics during the conversation roamed all over the place, from past experiences together to local sports figures to politics to his baby brother’s untimely passing just a week prior to the call.

And when the call ended, much like every other phone call in our nearly 40 years of friendship did, two simple phrases were uttered.

“I love you, Gilbert,” I said.

“I love you too, James,” my friend said.

But in the middle of the conversation, my beloved friend and former colleague Gilbert Lewis, known better by thousands as simply by his nickname “Gibby,” cracked a joke about three calls he received that day, the other two being Jersey City basketball legends Mike O’Koren and Mike Rooney.

“Rooney, Hague and O’Koren, that’s like a Jersey City backdoor trifecta,” Gibby laughed, referring to hitting a trifecta with a horse that you didn’t handicap to be part of the ticket and still got lucky to win.

Unfortunately, that was the last time I got the chance to speak with my long-time friend, because we lost Gibby last week to cancer. He was 70.



The late Gibby Lewis (right) with fellow referee Buck Dabydeen

Gibby is a one-name moniker in Hudson County sports circles. There was never a need to utter the Lewis part. Gibby needed just one name, like Cher, Madonna and Elvis. You said the name Gibby and everyone knew who you were talking about. It seemed like everybody knew Gibby and most everyone loved him -- well, considering what day of the week it was.

And everyone who knew Gibby had a Gibby story. Or two. Maybe even three. I had several, but most of them are not for print.

And when Gibby told a story, it became an instant classic, an epic like “Gone with the Wind.” There might not have ever been a better story teller alive. That’s not saying he was telling untrue tales, because as a proud member of the United States Marine Corps (Semper Fi, do or die), Gibby only spoke the truth, even if you didn’t want to hear it. Much like Jack Nicholson in “A Few Good Men” with his famous line, “you can’t handle the truth.”

But Gibby telling a story was incredibly entertaining and without a doubt hysterical.

“He could embellish a story and make that story last 20 minutes,” said O’Koren, who became friendly with Gibby when O’Koren was playing basketball at Hudson Catholic and became closer when O’Koren headed to Gibby’s beloved North Carolina to play for the legendary Dean Smith in 1977. “When Gibby told a story, all you could do was laugh your ass off. He had an incredible sense of humor.”

When O’Koren was playing for the Tar Heels, Gibby made several sojourns to Chapel Hill to watch O’Koren play.

“He brought a whole bunch of people with him over the years,” said O’Koren, who became an All-American for the Tar Heels and led Carolina to the 1977 NCAA Tournament championship game against Marquette and Jimmy Boylan, another long-time friend of Gibby’s.

“Gibby got to know all the other players, the coaches,” O’Koren said. “And they all liked him.”

Before Gibby even met O’Koren, he established himself as an outstanding athlete in three sports. He played baseball, but he truly made his mark in basketball and football at St. Joseph’s of the Palisades in West New York.

“He was a great athlete,” said O’Koren, who played many a summer league basketball game at St. Joseph’s School courts, a place known for its metal backboards and metal nets. “He really could play basketball.”

Ed Finn knew Gibby even longer than O’Koren.

“I knew him from growing up in St. Aedan’s,” said Finn, who said that he knew Gibby for about 55 years. “I knew him forever.”

Finn, who runs the Dan Finn Classic, the top-level high school basketball tournament held every January at the Jersey City Armory in memory of his late son, who was tragically killed when he was struck by a car in Myrtle Beach, S.C. in 2004, called Gibby “my wild and crazy friend.”

“He was as loose as a goose,” Finn said. “I never had a problem with Gibby. There are people who you can call friends and then there are those who would go through a wall for you. If I needed him, I guarantee he would come to my aid right away. When Dan died, we asked Gibby to do the Prayer of the Faithful at Dan’s funeral and he told me that it was the most difficult thing he ever did.”

Both Gibby and Finn were respected basketball officials, as well as organizing the Jersey City Recreation High School Basketball League for 20-plus years.

“I figured I must have officiated about 100 or so high school games together,” said Finn, who worked with Gibby at several of my games when I was the head girls’ basketball coach at both the Academy of St. Aloysius and St. Aloysius High. “When you put the summer league in, we must have worked over 1,000 together. Most nights in the summer, we worked four or five games together every night.”

Finn has fond memories of Gibby with the whistle in his mouth.

“I think Gibby had a passion for literally everything he did,” Finn said. “And he was in charge. He had that drive and energy in everything he did. Gibby was one of the best and if I was refereeing a top game, there was no one else I’d rather work with.”

Steve Rubbinaccio, the Union City native and another highly respected basketball official, agrees about Gibby’s talents as an official.

“Gibby was the toughest on the outside and softest on the inside,” Rubbinaccio said. “If you were his friend, you were a friend for life. If you were lucky enough to be inside the circle with him as a basketball official, there was no one else you wanted to work with. No one else you wanted to be in a war with.”

Gibby was such a highly respected official that he was assigned to work the Prime-Time Shootout game in Trenton in 2003 that featured both LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony in high school. Gibby also worked several high profile NJSIAA state playoff games, as well as several Hudson County Tournament championship games.



The late Gibby Lewis (far left corner) officiating a game in Trenton that featured Lebron James in 2003.


Gibby was also the underclass (freshman and JV) assignor in Hudson County for several years.

For a good portion of his life, Gibby worked for the City of Jersey City, as a supervisor in the Jersey City Department of Recreation and later the Department of Parks.

On a personal note, Gibby was assigned to work with me at P.S. 40 when I was in charge of Jersey City Recreation’s Biddy Basketball program, coaching and working with kids ages seven through 13. I never once had to ask Gibby for a single thing in terms of assistance in coordinating as many as 600 kids in that gym on a daily basis. He took the initiative almost daily offering instruction and positive guidance. Never once did I have to instruct him what to do.

Legendary Naismith Hall of Fame coach Bob Hurley, who was once the Department of Recreation director for a stint, also had a long-time relationship with Gibby.

“We were life-long friends, going back to since we were teenagers,” Hurley said. “We were contemporaries growing up. He was just a tremendous guy, a man’s man. He was a terrific athlete, a guy who could play with anyone. He was a loyal friend if you ever needed one. He loved my kids and was respectful to my wife. He was always a complete gentleman to them.”

If there was problem that Gibby had over the years, it is that he had struggles with drugs and alcohol. Part of Gibby’s demons came from having to serve in the Marines during the Vietnam War. It definitely played a major role in his demise over the years, but he was clean and sober over the last nine years of his life, something he was very proud of – much like the pride he had in being a Marine.

“His course, his route to becoming a college official was impacted,” Hurley said. “I think the demons took away from his potential. He battled it. He was never going to be a ‘Yes’ man. But he was always true to who he was.”

St. Peter’s Prep head football coach and athletic director Rich Hansen also enjoyed a close relationship with Gibby.

“Gibby marched to his own beat,” Hansen said. “But if you were his friend, he had your back for life. He was a fellow Blue Jay (both being St. Joseph athletes), so he was close to my heart there. Professionally, he was always someone I could turn to. If I asked him for something, he’d figure it out. There aren’t a lot of people like that. If you were his friend, he had you covered for life.”

Hansen said that Gibby had a unique approach in everything he did.

“He had a doctorate in street smarts,” Hansen said. “He knew how to handle people, how to talk to people. He found a way to get things done. He once said, ‘If you want things done, Coach Hansen, you call a Marine.’ We had an honest, genuine friendship. He took care of the people who he considered his friend.”

Of which I considered myself to be one of thousands.

“One of the best things about Gibby is that you could not see him for a year or so, but he’d pick things up like you were hanging out with him last night,” O’Koren said.

Gilbert “Gibby” Lewis, USMC, leaves a wife, Paula, a son, Evan, and two daughters, Olivia and Charlotte. There was no funeral service. He was already cremated. There is talk of a Memorial Mass later this year.


For now, we’re left to grieve, reflect, remember and pay tribute to truly one of a kind, the one who put the “U” in unique, the one and only Gibby. Rest in peace, my brother. 

14 comments:

  1. Gibby and I were long time friends. I officiated with him for many years. Gibby told me a story about the time he was a catcher fro a semi-pro baseball team that played out of Lincoln Park. My older brother John, was a pitcher on that team. Gibby used to tell me that my brother threw so hard, he had to wear two sponges inside his catcher's mitt, to keep the bruising down. Their are people that you meet and their are people that you call a friend. Gib was a friend who would give you his last dime, if you needed it. I was a part of those trips on the bus to UNC to watch Mike O'Koren play. Everyone involved with UNC and Duke Basketball knew who Gibby Lewis was. You will be missed, my friend. Bill Hammer

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brothers and I knew Gibby from the 70's and have many fond memories of this unique individual. We laughed so many times over stories he told and how he told them. He was a tough man, but deep down inside, he loved all who knew him and the love was returned in many ways. Some people didn't understand him and his nature, but this was their loss. To know him and to be in his company was to feel safe and able to do pretty much what he said you were capable of doing even if you didn't believe it yourself.

    He was a fixture at Pipi's Bar & Grill where my brother Bobby and I worked having grown up in that same neighborhood. The stuff that happened in that place made for sweet, funny memories. When my brother owned Caroselli's Deli on Montgomery Street, Gibby was a regular and he had some appetite. He was a big man with an even bigger heart and he will be missed by many friends and family members. May he rest in peace and continue to hold regal court in heaven above. Our sincerest condolences to Paula, Evan Olivia & Charlotte. Richie & Robbie Caroselli

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For years, I have read and seen the advertisements in the mass media about all of the penis enhancement pills and thought that they were all scams or gimmicks. All of the medical sites that I have visited stated that none of the herbal supplements would ever help increase the size of a penis. I got very depressed when I read this, because unfortunately I was not naturally blessed with a penis that was big enough to arouse my sexual partner or past partners. I am a man that is past my sexual prime time and my sexual performance has a lot to be desired. I decided to try Doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine after all the reading and researching that I have done.I saw a testimony " Joe" about doctor Akhigbe Herbal Medicine Since there is a Money Back Guarantee, I will give him a trial. What did I have to lose? I couldn't believe the results I was seeing after drinking the Natural  Herbal Medicine  and Herbal Soap to be Rubin my penis! He sent it to me through the DHL courier delivery service . Within about 2 weeks I had a noticeable increase in the girth of my penis. Then after a couple of additional weeks it started to grow in length and I was amazed and very excited.before I finished the drink and the soap my penis had grown an additional two inches. I've had a considerable improvement with my sex life and these pills are certainly worth every penny I spent on them! I want to thank Dr Akhigbe for the time and effort they have spent on helping people in my situation.I know many are out there who are suffering this problem and they need help, email him.    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com.    He also cures other diseases like: Painful or Irregular Menstruation. HIV/Aids. Breast Enlargement. Diabetics. Vaginal Infections. Vaginal Discharge. Itching Of the Private Part. Breast Infection. Discharge from Breast. Breast Pain & Itching. Lower Abdominal Pain. No Periods or Periods Suddenly Stop. Women Sexual Problems. High Blood Pressure Chronic Disease. Pain during Sex inside the Pelvis. Pain during Urination. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, (PID). Dripping Of Sperm from the Vagina As Well As for Low sperm count. Parkinson disease. Lupus.  Cancer.  Tuberculosis.  Zero sperm count.  Asthma.  Quick Ejaculation. Corneal Ulcer, Gallstone, Terminal Illnesses, Premature Ejaculation. Herpes. Joint Pain. Stroke. Weak Erection.  Erysipelas, Thyroid, Discharge from Penis. HPV.  Impotence Affection, Hepatitis A and B. STD. Staphylococcus + Gonorrhea + Syphilis. Heart Disease.  Pile-Hemorrhoid.rheumatism, thyroid, Autism, Penis enlargement,  Waist & Back Pain.  Male Infertility and Female Infertility. For your cure email him now:   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or Contact his number:  +2348025012866.

    ReplyDelete
  9. DR OGHEDE HERBAL CENTRE is the natural male support formula designed to take your sexual performance to another level.This is the formula designed to combat against all sexual complications and erectile dysfunction.The supplement promotes healthy production of testosterone hormone in body that increases sexual desires and endurance, while helping you to perform harder and longer on bed. It reduces the fatigue levels and sexual decline caused due to aging and optimizes the sexual drives and arousal levels for peak performance on bed. DR OGHEDE HERBS even focuses on increasing your circulation of blood across penile chambers.This increment in the circulation widens the blood vessels for increased holding capacity and this treats the root cause of ED in males. It reduces your fatigue levels and allows you to last longer with intense orgasms and better sexual drives. It also maximizes your sexual climax by allowing you to hold your ejaculation longer when performing on bed. Get in contact with DR OGHEDE   via Email: droghedeherbalcentre@gmail.com And WhatsApp him directly on +2347054690368.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How this great man called Dr Isikolo helped me to bring back my lover within 48 hours. my lover who broke up with me since last May this year and all my effort to him back proved abortive. i love him so much that any time i see him with another girl i will be angry. so one day i was going through the internet when i saw a testimony of a woman how this great man name DR ISIKOLO helped her to get back with her husband, so lucky for me he dropped the contact of the man,so i quickly called the number he did not pick i emailed him after about 2 hours time he called me back and he replied my email. i explained everything to him and he gave me full information on the process and what to do. so he told that he need some items to do the prayers for me which i did i did my possible best to get for him to ensure my prayers is done and within 48 hours as he already assured me, my lover came back to me pleading to me asking for forgiveness, he now love me, cherish me and he promise that he will never leave me again. all thanks to DR ISIKOLO, you can also email him: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com or his WhatsApp: +2348133261196 and be rest assured of the solution because he is simply the best you can find anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Powerful Herbal treatment is 100% guarantee for Genital Herpes cure, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure Genital Herpes and other herpes related cases, infections/disease , is because they believe on medical report, drugs and medical treatments which is not helpful to cure HSV and hasn't proved any sign of helping. Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever. I never believed it until I was helped and cured of my 19 months genital herpes with natural herbal medicines from Dr Idedia. Where other medical prescribed drugs and treatments failed, Natural herbs helped saved me from Genital herpes permanently and i am so grateful for this. You can also get help from this great and powerful herbs can also contact Dr Idedia  through via this email: dr.idediatraditionalhealinghome@gmail.com , Text or call him via : +2349126592869

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to share this great testimony to the world on how Dr VOODOO cure me from HSV1&2 with his herbs, I was nervous when i first contact him about the cure for HSV but i decided to give him a try because i was desperate to get cured and be free from HSV. Dr VOODOO prepared the remedy and sent it to me through UPS,which I use just the way Dr VOODOO instructed me and thank God today I am a beneficiary to this cure and I went back to the hospital after 7 days of taking the herbs and I tested HSV1&2 Negative. So I will tell you all who are looking for a cure to his/her HSV1&2 that Dr VOODOO took research before he could finally get the solution to it and a lot of people are benefiting from him right now. He also cured my friend from HPV. Dr VOODOO heals with natural herbs. Please I urge you to contact him now through his email address: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or call and WhatsApp him on +2348140120719. He is capable of curing HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, CANCER of all kinds, DIABETES and so many other infections.

    ReplyDelete


  13. My lover was cured from herpes virus and erectile problem just in 2 weeks with his effective herbal Medicine, it is still like a dream to me. There is no word suitable enough to qualify your significant in my life dear doctor. contact him___________________________ Robinsonbuckler[@yahoo].com....Robinsonbuckler11@gmil.com, he can also help you with your own problem today..there is no harm in trying. he will surely make your dreams come

    [[ He has solution to all health issues…He can solve any kind of problem below. ]]


    [[ Do you have problem in your marriage/relationship life?]]

    [[ Do you have Cancer? ]]

    [[ Do you want to get pregnant? ]]

    [[ Do you have shingles/herpes 1&2? ]]

    [[ Do you have erectile issue? ]]

    [[ Do you have Prostate cancer? ]]

    [[ Do you your business to grow excessively? ]]

    [[ Do you have diabetes? ]]

    [[ Do you have Fibroid? ]]

    ReplyDelete